Quote of the moment

When you stumble, make it part of the dance

'Wisdom is knowing i am nothing, Love is knowing i am everything, and between the two my life moves' - Nisargadatta

November 27, 2013

...inner core

We never accuse ourselves of the problems that happen to us. I got reminded of this recently.

A scene in the episode Painless, S05E12 of House M.D refers to how Dr. House (Hugh Laurie) wont accept that he could be the reason for the plumbing problem at his home. 
He notices his ceiling leaking and pokes it with his cane. The ceiling collapses with water falling over him. He has a workman come in who finds that the leak is the result of negligence from pulling on the pipe and isn't covered by insurance. The cost to fix it is $2,200. House refuses to accept the collapsed ceiling were caused by negligence and later bribes the handyman to lie to the insurance company about his broken pipes. However, the bribe was bigger than the costs of the repair.
Though later on House discovers that it was as a result of his own negligence. He goes to take a bath and realizes he’s been pulling on the pipes to help himself in and out of the bath and realizes he actually did cause the damage to his own pipes.
Why this scene comes to mind is because I recently suffered some major lower back-pain. As i was enduring the unbearable pain, I accused destiny, bad timing, green eyes, etc. to the pain. After two months, i chose to visit the orthopedic doctor. The doctor asked me only two questions. 
  1. Do you use the computer a lot? 
  2. Do you lead a sedentary lifestyle?
Poof!!!

Apparently, I caused the muscles to become tight and inflexible with a weak core due to my own habits. After couple of physiotherapy, acupuncture and rehab exercises, i understand how much i need to get up and move around. At the therapy center, i also got a glimpse of other people in severe pain and how it could turn out to be for me as well (if changes were not made soon). 


Exercises include simple daily stretches and Transverse Abdominis (TA) activation. The TA is a horizontal band of muscle that runs side-to-side from the rib cage to the pelvis and basically holds the contents of the abdomen in place.
This is a fairly new concept to me and requires more practice. 



For the past few months, I have been furiously working on my anxiety and fear based issues of the mind, forgetting the basic principle that 'Our body is the temple of the mind.'

I usually don't make any on New Years (do they ever sustain?). So I've decided to make a pre-new year resolution. The next 12 months focus will not only be on my mind, it will also be on my body's..

No comments: