Quote of the moment

When you stumble, make it part of the dance

'Wisdom is knowing i am nothing, Love is knowing i am everything, and between the two my life moves' - Nisargadatta

February 16, 2012

at a time

Many personality tests ask this question "Do you persevere until the task is finished." and in most occasion i have been honest and respond with a 'NO'.

Reflecting recently on my education and career choices, i realized that i managed to complete every education degree with a decent score. On the work front too, whenever i chose to quit, it was when i decided that my time there was over and i should move on.
Still I didn't consider "perseverance" as one of my strengths. I rather try to complete the task at the last moment in a hurry (because it had to be completed) than be working hard at it.

So when at the beginning of this year, i told myself that i would learn Yoga, i wasn't sure that i would work towards it. Whenever i enquired about the classes or check ads, i wouldn't find something suitable with the timings, fee, location or duration. So i was on the lookout for the perfect opportunity (if they exist). And as the Buddhist say and now i believe
"When the student is ready, the master appears"
I found a tiny ad in a local paper about Yoga classes and decided to contact them. It turned out to be fitting my scheme of things and i joined it.

My yoga teacher, an enchanting lady, seemed to know her stuff and has been teaching for the past 20 odd years. She informed us that most of the students give up Yoga midway since its not everyone's cup of tea. And by the end of two sessions, i could understand why. It requires one to work so much on ones body and mind together to get into a posture. And you feel pain in parts of body you didn't know existed. I was intending to give up too. Not because i was beyond bearable pain. But because i felt i might not be able to perform as well as my teacher expected me too.

And then i recollected a statement in Osho's book (Yoga, the supreme science)
" First be a disciple, dont try to master. Mastership will come"
Whenever i have given up on something, it is because i wanted to master it before i became the disciple. i didn't give it hard-work, discipline and effort but wanted to get it right in the first few attempts itself. And when it didnt work, i would quit. Adult learners most of the times come across such experiences. But look at children, see how many times they practise something they wanna learn, master it and then perform it effortlessly. When a child who has not experiences as much as mine can do it, so can i.

I am determined to make myself a disciple for as long as takes with the practice it requires. Yoga practitioner, Samara Chopra also states on her home page " It doesn't matter how slowly you go, so long as you dont stop" - Confucius


A friend of mine, Nitya shared this image on FB which will help me remember to take one step..

No comments: