Quote of the moment

When you stumble, make it part of the dance

'Wisdom is knowing i am nothing, Love is knowing i am everything, and between the two my life moves' - Nisargadatta

March 8, 2006

Do you like your Eggs Benedict?

Hmmm… the lazy being I am...I thought I wud never blog again… but there was something which enlightened a perpective of mine….. Which is, I love to make the ones I love enjoy with me…. Whats wrong in that… Nothing….. but how far will I go, to do that… this thought got whirling in my mind.. or heart or are they the same….And coming to what made me think of this …. The movie Runaway Bride…. Well.. Julia Roberts (Maggie) gets ready to tie the knot (many times)... But everytime she reaches the aisle.. she freaks out and runs away…. quite normal behaviour in my opnion… Ahem… And she does this nearly three times.. But what caught my attention was the fact that, when Richard Gere (Ike) tries to investigate about this and get to the bottom of the matter, he asks a very funny question to all the wud have-been grooms .. He asks, “What kind of eggs did she like? “ ... Now each groom gave a different answer… I didn’t get it at first… but then Ike explains to Maggie

Ike ... "The most lost woman I have ever.."
Maggie ... "Lost,?"
Ike ... "Yes, you're so lost you don't even know what kind of eggs you like. Yes, yes yes that's right. With the priest you wanted scrambled. With the dead head, it was fried. With the other guy, the bug guy, it was poached. Now it's like oh.....egg whites only. Thank you very much."
Maggie ... "That is called changing your mind."
Ike ... "No, that is called not having a mind of your own. Maggie what are you doing?"

This conversation struck me like a thunder bolt…. Actually many a times, we start to like and do some stuff, jus because the person we love, wud be happier that way…This seems right until we are not changing ourselves drastically , to jus stay on with that person... coz if we do that … like Ike said… We won’t have a mind of our own… This will not sound of any importance at the stage when we are trying to hold on….. but later on.. if due to some unforseen reasons we have to let go of that person.. we will find ouselves too vulnerable, coz we do not know what we like … We wont have anything to be passionate about anymore… All the stuff we thought had become a part of us…. was the other person’s interests…… What did I like once???? I dunno..

I read someone’s blog once and liked the positive note on which he ended….
“I need my flair for life back, I need me to be me, I need to stop thinking about how every immoral being has made his way to the top, and be content with whatever progress I make on my own pace. I need to acknowledge all true friends and give credit where credit is due..... forget all impartialities and greet the piercing light that squints my eyes every morning i wake up realizing not all is lost, but when all is said and done, what i really need to do........ is to make an effort”

We need to understand that most of the relationships continue to remain strong because of space and understanding…. because both the person agrees to disagree on issues which are trivial .. because they don't worry much about the other person NOT liking or admiring stuff, in the same manner as you do…. We have our own tastes… And we should have our own individuality... coz in this ever changing world, most of the times, one is left with only with… oneself…. and if we do not know what keeps us going… we will drown ourselves, when we could have bounced back so easily….

Ok.. now, does this mean that I should not try to like what others do and make them happy by enjoying that… Hey .. No…. Coz it is very important that we share each other’s joys, interest and experience. This widens our perpective and makes us broad minded… I believe that life is simple … people complicate it… When we get to see the other person’s point of view… we understand that we may have got it all wrong… they didn’t mean what they said the way we thought they did.. We learn so much from the people around us… and especially from whom we love…..

So how do we balance the situation… Hmmm…..

Lets see.. maybe ... We can find out, how we like our eggs, eat ours, relish it.. and then try checking out the egg of the loved one.. see if we like it..
If we don’t…... Well… continue eating our egg….. We can always learn how to make the other one and serve them with love…...

“I love eggs Benedict. I hate all the other kinds.“ That’s what Maggie says in the end of the movie .Maggie keeps in front of her, plates full of all sorts of types of eggs -- scrambled, poached, sunny-side up, Benedict, soft boiled, etc - and sits on the kitchen counter. She tries them and finds out… the one she likes... Hope I do the same… not the eggs… I am trying to remain the vegetarian I wanna be… but will try many other things…… :)



* Eggs Benedict is a dish consisting of slices of toast or halves of muffins (English muffins in American-English) topped with smoked bacon or ham (traditionally back bacon, which in America is called Canadian bacon), poached eggs, and hollandaise sauce.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

tht was a gud one... i shud say.